Thursday 26 May 2011

No Pain, No Gain...

It's Thursday today and I'm stiff in my left leg. On Monday I had my physio 'knee' class that I've already written about a few blog posts back. I made mention of how one particular exercise, the one legged knee over toe thing had my left leg shaking like I had been thrown naked into a freezer resulting in my hip continually hurting for a couple of days after. Well on Monday I'm sat on the warm up bike and the chart on the wall tells me that prolonged pains after exercise is not desirable so when it came time to perform this one legged knee over toe balancing thing I point this out to my physio thinking she'd just tell me to skip it but noo. She tells me that to have this pain indicates a weakness (no s*it Sherlock) and I need to continue with it which does make sense but she relents a little telling me to do alternate legs every 10 seconds.

As a result my gammy leg still gets the shakes however there is less pain compared to last week so I'm happy. Then I'm on the leg press and am moved up to the next level of torture, up from the two legged press to the one legged (the gammy leg) press. I don't think anything of it and proceed to perform the exercise but it feels weird, as I'm pressing probably because my stabiliser muscles must be weak, my body bends slightly in the middle and I can feel the effort in my left arse cheek and quad. I've succeeded in isolating those particular muscles which can only be good, however extracting myself from that machine was not graceful at all as all strength was zapped from that leg resulting in me having to pull myself out like a chimp on monkey bars and then lurching across the room to the next machine.

The last exercise is done with and my left leg is a quivering wreck, I get changed and hobble to my car which was easier said than done I can tell you. I walked into that class and an hour and ten exercises later lurched out of it like Quasimodo with Esmerelder on his back...

As I said today is Thursday, three days later and I'm still suffering, my leg particularly my knee and left bum cheek are really stiff and sore and I've got to do it again next Monday but ha it's a bank holiday and no class however despite the pain I know it's doing me a world of good so I'm going to make use of my Fitness First membership card and head to the gym to deliberately put myself through it all over again...

Oh the fun of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment