Sunday 29 November 2009

North Cheshire Clarion club run 29 Nov 2009

Definitely not southern Jessies!!!

Metcheck had forecast snow showers, 6mm of rain and a temperature of just above zero along with moderate winds but that did nothing to deter ten hardy souls venturing out into the Cheshire countryside with the NCC.



On the day we decided upon riding the reverse of a route we have ridden before but with a few new roads thrown into the mix so setting of from Stretton and two miles into the ride,
a 'ping' saw off one member back home with a busted spoke. So ten became nine as we rode off into a cool winter morning, the snow was a no snow erm show, the wind was next to nowt and I was cruising along with a heart rate in the 120's but that was all about to change, 120bpm shot up near 170bpm on the first drag of a hill but I think it would have been higher if I hadn't been able to put into practice some of the things I've read about when it comes to climbing, specifically proper breathing and sitting farther back in the saddle alternating with my normal position and standing out of the saddle. Doing this seems to work different muscles groups so whilst one set is being worked the others are getting a little bit of R&R. Of course over time ALL the different muscles get fatigued so fatigue will get you in the end and I guess the only things you can do to delay the 'end' is to improve on cardiovascular fitness and muscle strength and they will only come with proper training, rest, nutrition and time.... lots of things I need to work on...

Arriving at our designated stop, the Summertrees Tea rooms in Willington I treated myself to carrot cake and coffee, £3.40 yikes, won't be doing that too often, but it was nice... Sitting there it was noticed that I steamed, yes I steamed - there literally was steam coming from my legs, so it's official I AM HOT!!!... but I think it was more to do with getting a good soaking combined with being a tad warm - but why was it only me, why out of the nine of us was I the only one steaming!!! I sat there fretting waiting to go up in flames - I've heard about this thing called spontaneous human combustion and as I waited for the flames I noted the positions of all the fire extinguishers... just in case...

I did eventually stop smoking and obviously lived to tell the tale so now we set off cold and shivering by descending Chapel lane - a hill we have yet to climb as a club but it's going to take a few scalps when we do I'm sure of it (probably mine and only mine), then back up past Delamere and onto the last two drags of the day and it's here where I was to put a different type of hill climbing to the test. These last two and the first in particular are long steady not too steep inclines, (not as steep as the earlier hills) where settling into a rhythm and getting comfortable are important, go off too hard and you run the risk of blowing up or go off too slow and get left behind but getting left behind is preferable to blowing up - at the very least you will be on your bike rather than walking when you meet up with the rest of the guys waiting for you at the top of the hill. So in my case I was able to settle on a hr of 160-162 with a cadence of around 75 to 80 and worked my way up the hill - my hr moves up to 165, I drop the speed slightly and if my hr goes the other way I'm not working hard enough...

The last few miles start to drag a little and I'm sure it's down to the miserable weather that is now making itself really manifest - we are riding into a little headwind, the heavens are open and the wet stuff is descending in bucket loads now, all miserable stuff but the ride is now over. Back at the car all the wet stuff is just thrown into the car and it's off home for nourishment, heat and a shower, stick the bike in the garage throw the wet gear into the washer and then came a steady stream of food and drink.... protein and banana shake, toasted bagel with butter, a hot cup of honey & lemon, 4 biscuits, a packet of crisps (low fat mind you) and a look in the fridge revealed a jar of olives stuffed with garlic - I will have some of that ta. Now and only now after the hunger has been sated came the shower closely followed by the Mrs coming in FROM SHOPPING you dirty minded gits complete with an order to the get the kettle on. So now it's a cup o tea and a big slab of chrimbo cake, yum yum. Three hours later it's tea time with cheesy topped beef pasta....

Total calories worked off = much less than the total calories consumed after...

My Stats
40.7 miles, 2hrs 55min, Av Spd 14 mph, 1939ft climbing

No comments:

Post a Comment