Tuesday 8 December 2009

Consolation...

For those that failed to ride Swiss Hill in its entirety it's some consolation to know that many others have been beaten into submission by the slick cobbles of Swiss Hill (or a local 4x4). Here's a few ride report quotes from 2009's Cheshire Cat which rode Swiss Hill...

Swiss Hill was the only one that got me (got everyone that I was with)- again, steep, but with wet mossy cobbles - no traction, not nice...

Swiss Hill was a right hoot, few wheelspin moments, and was made a little more difficult by a car trying to come down, whilst riding past walking riders, though give the car driver his due, he did wait patiently for us to pass. I am glad we went up it, and not down it, I know it was cobbled, but that was very rough cobbles, with a few holes....

Swiss Hill got me, but only due to falling off. A car was coming down and forced me into the rough edge area, I almost fell in his window He was nice about it though. Couldn't get started again until the flat middle section, despite a walking cyclist trying to help!...

Swiss Hill was interesting. It is probably the hardest hill I have ever climbed on my road bike. Just because of the gradient, the cobbles and the time in the ride it hit me. Didn't stop though! Made it too the top and then suffered like crazy all the way back to Knutsford...

39-27 did not get me up mow cop or swiss hill...

riding Swiss Hill was fun, very much like Flandrian climbs...

I turned left up the hill, hit the cobbles and everybody was walking in front of me! Cue much swerving and miraculously managing to stay on the bike, I pushed on up, almost hitting a few potholes when a car came down the hill. I finally got to the top and had to adjust the way I dressed after I'd taken a beating in the nether regions from my saddle!...

Slightly baulked at the bottom by a group stopped, dithering as what to do. Couldn't take as much speed into it as i'd have liked. Got halfway up, (avoiding the Range Rover coming down!) but terminal wheelspin meant I had to stop half way. At least I made it past the photographer! Got started again where the cobbles flatten. First time I've not cleared it but it was much greasier than on practice runs. Was the only climb I didn't manage with a 34-25...

A huge group went up in front of me and I thought, what the hell, I'm going for it. I started off ok and got as far as the flats but then the cobbles were so bad, muddle, uneven, slippy and I just fell off. I've got a huge bruise on my knee and hip - that's what is really hurting me now. Thanks to the guys who stopped to pick me up. I walked to just past the flats, got back on and carried on to the top with even more swearing...

Thought that a 39x27 would be enough to lug my lardy ars* up the hills. It wasn't - result = got off on all the major hills (especially Swiss Hill - just how slippy was that!)...

Swiss Hill was a challenge. I had to walk the steep bit on the bend near the houses...

Swiss Hill was my main challenge, as I've ridden it once before but on a MTB, and so i was slightly unsure about the gaps between the cobbles, and also the fact that on my previous run I'd stopped where it bends right thinking that was the end... however pleased with myself that i never had to put a foor down...

Swiss Hill definitely gets my vote for toughest climb of the route, especially with the surprise extra stretch around the corner when you think you're done...

Interesting but useless stuff, but I bet you feel a little better now - just thought I'd share Hehe...

No comments:

Post a Comment